Sunday, January 11, 2015

A New Year, A New Soccer Blog

Eat it, you cocky little shit.
Different people respond to Major League Soccer's (MLS) offseason in different ways. Everyone else has their thing, no doubt, but I know exactly what I do every off-season. I start another MLS blog.

To paraphrase Troy McClure, you might remember me from such blogs as It's a Simple Game, Center Holds It, The Carey Talley Fan Club, and some blog that, even if I can't remember its damn name, still exists on Wordpress (it's something about five year plans, but google can't find it, so, neither can I). Each of these now-departed blogs – and, lo, they are legion – shared a defining trait: a hubristic belief that one man can cover both MLS and the U.S. domestic scene part-time. In a word, or rather, an outburst: HA! And, in the past, the gods did to hubris-bloated things what the gods always do - e.g. lay them low.

This latest attempt/incarnation, Cream of Soccer Ball, adopts more modest goals in the hopes of keeping the gods happy. This site’s offerings will feature one post per day, no more no less, about what strikes me as the single most interesting item out of the U.S. domestic soccer scene of the day gone by. It might be big, compelling, weird, funny, or just some little something that dropped out of my own ass: but it will be one item and one item only...

...OK, that and maybe an honorable mention or two that will receive no elaboration whatsoever. I mean none. Just a link and, "say, isn't this interesting?" then I move on. I mean, I can do that. Right?

So, yes, can I honor that goal? Well, if I don't, the odds of me killing this thing by, oh, June offers one of the safest bets you'll ever see; that's when I usually decide that there’s nothing left but to watch the rest of the MLS season, wait for the Los Angeles Galaxy to win it all, that sort of thing.

To close with some personal info, I post on Twitter as TheChairmanJeff (follow if you wanna!) where I fart out little tweets about life, books, politics, and, last but not least, my hometown Portland Timbers – i.e. the team to which I am very much married. And I mean "married" in every sense of that word.

Hoping for a long, strange journey, but expecting a one-way trip to the nearest brick wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment