Monday, March 5, 2018

Los Angeles Galaxy 1-2 Portland Timbers: We Have Our (or Some) Dignity

The right kind of vulnerable.
To begin at the actual beginning, I’ll have to switch up a thing or two about “My Process” in the post-condensed-game MLSLive era. The only way I can dial back in to pick up more detail is to watch the entire game all over and again, and no. With that in mind, this week will take a high angle view of the situation that is, at this point in time, by no means perilous.

And that’s the top-line question about the Portland Timbers’ 1-2 road loss to the Los Angeles Galaxy already answered: am I happy with it? Tentatively, and on the level that I didn’t expect any different. Also, the team caught a break in that they didn’t melt into a putrescent puddle after giving up a second goal to the Galaxy. The Timbers stumbled to the edge of the abyss Atlanta United FC visited in their opening loss, but didn’t fall in. And that’s not so bad after a bad performance.

Put that in the context of how much one (maybe two) pundit(s) hyped the Galaxy heading into 2018, and given that big goddamn field - which, as I failed to adequately explain to the people I watched the game with last night, takes Portland out of their element like few fields in MLS - this made for a gutsy start to the Timbers’ 2018. And I say that as someone who, at this point, ranks winning the Supporters’ Shield over all trophies. Face it, MLS Cup is just having a go at the leftovers excellence leaves behind…

My neuroses - or just that specific set of neuroses - can wait for a bit because I want to, 1) get back to the game, and 2) talk more about how I see the Portland Timbers’ 2018. Also, 2)(a) I want to talk about what I see doing with posts like these for the season. With that, let’s start with 2)(a).

With this 2018 Major League Soccer season, my plan is to start with a post about what just happened with the Portland Timbers during and after any game they play (except, say, U.S. Open Cup, which I couldn’t care less about, and the powers that be have only themselves to blame for that). I want those up on Sunday night in the future (ideally), but the plan is to update the same post with anything worthwhile I stumble across on MLSSoccer.com throughout the week. What this should produce is a standard, evolving Portland Timbers/MLS post for each week of the season (when I’m not on vacation, because I’ll totally be on vacation later this year). In a perfect world, this’ll involve just adding touches to the Timbers material, while actually filling in the blanks on notable news from the rest of MLS (i.e., the Houston Dynamo dropping four pieces of unanswered hurt on Atlanta United FC, which supports a personal theory that they’re short on defense). This is idea without action so far, but it feels really, really promising conceptually, so just pretend it happened and was wildly successful (PLEASE!!??).

Back to Portland, and tonight, I’d call the game encouraging on the fundamental level that the team kept at it, even when not much went well. And even that’s with the open question of why the Galaxy (might have) opted to protect the lead over pushing the game (because that move is so Sigi Schmid), - which leads to the panting question at the heart of every soccer game that’s ever been played - i.e., which adjustment made Portland look like the better team in the second half, and was that even real?

At this point, my answer would be no. It’s not that Portland didn’t perform better in the second half - because, of course they did - but that they didn’t seem enormously more effective on the attacking side after they finally Timbers finally got their defensive shop in order. The fact that, Sebastian Blanco, the Portland attacking player voted “Most Likely to Continue Doing Nothing Good,” scored Portland’s one goal and only after a fit of dereliction from the Galaxy defense underlines the essential randomness of the Timbers’ attacking prowess. The question then, as always, is one of sustainability…and that’s where shit gets antsty.

On the other end of the field (defense), my key word for Portland tonight was “vulnerable,” and not in the smoldering, vampire way but the shitty, “we might lose some games” way. The key here is figuring where the breakdowns happened – e.g., with Larrys Mabiala in the final phase of a play, or in the sequence that took it there? The Galaxy’s two goals followed from floundering defensive (fucking) train wrecks in the area - especially the second one - and highlighted the speed (or lack thereof) between Portland’s two central defenders. And that’s specific thing: the coaching staff knows what our central defensive pairing looks like more than anyone, but how do they adjust to their particular reality?

It’s probably too early in the season to get that deep in What It All Means beyond zero points for Portland after one game. I did manage to read something last night (through one blinking bloodshot eye), Matt Doyle’s write-up, which only touched on the Timbers late, but still included this li’l gem:

“Based upon what we saw Sunday and during preseason, Gio Savarese is going to have to go in a different direction.”

Doyle’s referencing the formation with that – Portland’s 4-2-3-1 – and, speaking for myself, if Savarese’s stumped as to where to go from here, I’m with him – at least for now. I went into yesterday most worried the Timbers would get overwhelmed in midfield, but I’m also not sure that’s what happened. What I do know (or remember, if hazily) was that the team couldn’t get the ball Fanendo Adi or Diego Valeri with any kind of useful regularity, and that I don’t really know where to set the credit/blame balance on that – i.e., was it LA’s defensive scheme that starved them of service or was it short/wayward passing from Blanco and Andy Polo? God knows neither Alvas Powell nor Marco Farfan (Portland’s fullbacks…and is that the right Farfan?) pitched in anything useful on the attacking side…then again, it’s not like the team can go without fullbacks, so I don’t see the “4” in that 4-2-3-1 changing, so the changes have to come in front of that…and here’s where I have a specific tale of woe and heartbreak…

I started last season (that’s 2017) pretty damn high on David Guzman – and I mean that to the extent of thinking he could level up the team around him. When you set the expectations that high on a player, and he doesn’t live up to it…is that regression on his part, or you, as an observer, coming to grips with a bad read/wishful thinking/delusional aspiration/really strong desire to be right about something? This loops back to the point I was making above about Portland’s central defensive partnership. Unless Julio Cascante can step in (and, for the record, I really, really want him to, because I have the perfect foundation for a chant for that guy…and he’ll have to earn something that fucking magnificent), Liam Ridgewell and Mabiala are the guys we’ve got. Love it or hate it, there are who they are on top of being what we’ve got, and that just sharpens the question of who Savarese plays in front of them and how. I didn’t get much of a read on Cristhian Paredes last night, but, at this point, I’m lumping him in with the Timbers’ global problem of failing to get the ball to either the right players or even good places on the field. That, and possibly letting LA get to the squishy innards of Portland’s defense.

All the dumping above outlines a pretty bad day for Portland, but they’re still sitting on just a -1 goal differential in the wake of it. Things will have to improve, obviously, and, at this point, I’m most keyed up about the “2” in that 4-2-3-1. I’m open on how to fix it, and know that time runs out on winning the Shield with every game Savarese doesn’t have it figured out. (And, just to note it: I don’t see this team winning the Shield…just to set expectations.)

All for today. I’ll be updating and reposting all week! (And, dammit, that’ll require a little more thought in how I promote these things.)

UPDATE:


First, so many kinks to work out. If I can’t get my condensed games (a comically scarce point of interest where they web’s concerned), that leaves me figuring out the best way to get the cleanest bead on the state of things in Major League Soccer. I don’t see me watching more than three games a week, which means I’ll have to choose what I watch a little wiser (e.g., took in Orlando City SC v. DC United; I’ll share some notes on that tonight), and I’ll have to get what I can out of everything but podcasts…because, as it turns out, I don’t have the patience for soccer podcasts. That’ll mostly be raiding The Kickoff for perspective and loose talking points, maybe some of MLS’s video content, etc.

And, for the record, I lost yesterday to hangover worthy of a season opener (i.e., one of those where your soul hurts more than your head), but I plan on closing shop for each “Week” in Major League Soccer by end of day Wednesday. OK, that’s the lay of the land. Now, plant some stuff on it!

I’ll stick with Portland’s opening loss to the LA Galaxy – specifically, borrowing from Stumptown Footy’s/Six Degree of Separation’s (merger?) write-up – which adds some useful details I let drop to the cutting room floor (in service of flow/continuity/vanity). You’ll be richer for reading it, but the main thing I want to flag is the author’s (C. I. DeMann) deeper focus on the comparative global awfulness of Portland’s fullbacks, Powell and Farfan, who both had a bad day on both sides of the ball, which I didn't emphasize nearly enough. I also let Andy Polo off easy – just mentioned him, really – but DeMann lingers satisfyingly on how thoroughly he abandoned his post…something I tied to a theory that Polo spent most of his evening sneaking off for water-breaks, hence the more or less total invisibility…

Six Degree’s took this point all the way to suggesting Polo is just not up to the job. I’ll give him a longer lease than that, but I, like them, haven’t seen anything from the kid yet. Our talking points overlap decently otherwise…and that just makes me wonder which other writers I can follow to broaden my horizons a little.

In other MLS news…

No small part of what you can get out of The Kickoff feels too obvious to mention – e.g., Atlanta United FC is shopping for defensive midfielders and centerbacks, because of course they are. It is good for reminders, though – say, hearing about a strong opening weekend for the Vancouver Whitecaps’ Alphonso Davies (and his new life under the long, mad wings of Kei Kamara) – but, and I can’t emphasize this enough, all of this would be much, much easier with condensed games. This is me begging, Major League Soccer. I’ll give this 50 Hail Garber’s a day, if necessary. I’ll even tolerate the freshly rolled-out “Crazy Voice” version of Alexi Lalas.

But, so long as the universe is determined to not let me have good things, I’ll (briefly) review one or two additional games each week, and give high-level thoughts on the rest – which I’ll do for Week 1 tonight. Another thing I’ll do is mine The Kickoff for good talking points to riff on -like these notes on Ola Kamara:
“He's always trying to find the pockets in there,” Boateng said of Kamara. “Everywhere the ball bounces, he's trying to get there. He's always looking to run in behind or just be an option when we have the ball, so it makes it easy.” “Now we have Ola, who makes great runs in behind,” captain Ashley Cole said. “Gio find him, Alessandrini finds him, and he kind of takes the pressure off Ema. Now Ema's getting space to go one on one.”

I get a kick out of notes on strategic/tactical mechanics like that – Cole’s clarification, in particular, about this Kamara’s movement freeing up Boateng to go one on one. And, to take this back to Portland, the only place that matters…

The Timbers’ formation proved a common talking point in the two places I looked, whether as something not long for this world (Doyle) or as something to get away from and into a 4-4-2 (DeMann). And maybe it would work, having Adi paired with Armenteros up top, and on the theory it’ll give opposition defenses two players to chase, maybe give Valeri and Blanco more room to operate.

The downside to this Plan B is as glaring as Portland’s defensive “display” in the first half. DeMann floated a diamond scheme, something I can’t see paying off with the way Guzman’s played this season, and with Paredes looking nothing like ready to handle the base of a diamond; I’m not even sure Diego Chara could credibly swing it, but he’s the only player I can see trusting just now. The one way I can see trying it involves starting Dairon Asprilla; whatever his failures on the attacking side (just a bit clumsy at times; no man has as many spokes for tangling up the ball in his legs than Asprilla), the man will totally do the defensive work…unlike Polo…I dunno, maybe the kid needs electro-shock therapy? The kind of stern talking to that Caleb Porter gave Adi last season? A 4-4-2 feels like a hard fit for Portland’s personnel – at least so long as you want to keep Valeri out there and reasonably high on the field.

The only thing I can think of besides involves trying a 3-5-2, something I haven’t even started to pencil out (work with Valentin, maybe? And how’s Cascante look for mobility?). All right, that’s it for this addendum.



UPDATE...probably the last one this week, whilst I get one or two houses in order.

I’ve got Orlando City SC v. DC United to review, but I want to give a nod to the rest of the slate first and make a couple general points to begin. First, when I bounced to this line from Monday morning’s edition of The Kickoff, I almost put my head through the goddamn window on the MAX:

“Andrew Wiebe breaks down why, in his humble opinion, he thinks Columbus Crew SC will definitely make the playoffs by the end of the 2018 season.”

Look, I’m past getting overly-worked up about the “on-air talent” for MLSSoccer.com (or even broadcasters; they’re mostly enthused goofballs and, therefore, a source of fond amusement), but (mad, pointless) hot takes like that are click-bait (which I didn’t take, but only because I hate watching video on my phone) are the raw sewage of content, the dregs of the dregs, the shit that shit wipes off itself in disgust. Another MLS guy, Bobby Warshaw, floated something about the Houston Dynamo “figuring out” Atlanta and my only response to that is that I don't care enough to look it up, and also, STOP. I don’t even know the rules for the playoffs this season, but, based on past experience, assume they’re goofy (yep, and scroll down). Given that half the teams make the playoffs, sure, Columbus has a sound chance, their system worked well enough last season (though, going the other way, there’s another year on Pipa Higuain’s legs, etc.), but still, stop. Because one game in a parity-fixated league means nothing, not for the Shield, and definitely not for MLS Cup, declaring stuff like that is nothing but click-bait, lazy, stupid, hacky click-bait.

Now, some thumbnail notes on the rest - and I’m drawing all of what’s below from highlights and recaps.

Toronto FC 0-2 Columbus Crew SC
The Crew’s second goal was better than the first (but great run by Higuain on the first). Credit to them, but Portland fans should appreciate the fact that sometimes a team switches off. It looked like Toronto had their chances (and not all shots off the woodwork are created equal), but losing Victor Vasquez, for however long, hurts more than anything else.

Houston Dynamo 4-0 Atlanta United FC
I really do think this one’s simple as Atlanta needing defensive help and Houston having the right kind of players to exploit them. That said, Doyle praised them plenty. Good result - and don’t write-off Houston. Or Atlanta (even if they need help).

Philadelphia Union 2-0 New England Revolution
There was so much fucking bonehead among the Revolution defense, that other defenses should watch this in the spirit of a “scared straight” video. I’m glad the recap flagged a decent start by the Revs, but Anthony Milnar Delamea’s could have played the moment that lead to his red card a dozen different ways, and all 12 would have been better - and, if I were a Revs fan, the scrambling I saw throughout the highlights would  have me nauseous.

FC Dallas 1-1 Real Salt Lake
“It is Week 1, but results like this one can prove to be the difference between making and not making the playoffs at the end of the season.”
This is a lie and I’m tired of lies. Honestly, I couldn’t get a bead on this game (is it the writers on the recap? the choice of highlights?), but, if I remember right (and forgive me if I don’t), Dallas sort of laid an egg not just in the preseason, but the last third of last season. And, just to note it, Marcelo Silva made a less worrying mistake than Dallas’ Reggie Cannon on their respective goals (that read). Still a lotta story left for both teams, and with authors all over the league writing their own tales.

San Jose Earthquakes 3-2 Minnesota United FC
First, it’s gonna suck when Chris Wondolowski retires, because he’s gonna bawl, then I’m gonna bawl, and who wants that? As for Minnesota, I’d say a team breaking down like that twice in as many minutes bodes something awful, but…well, see above. To write something I never thought I would, San Jose scored themselves some elegant goals (No. 1 and No. 3, in particular, though 2 was nice). Still, giving up two goals late at home. To Minnesota. Yes, even if it was Kevin Molino.

Seattle Sounders FC 0-1 Los Angeles FC
Actually watched the first half of this one (if fitfully), and saw what has already probably been declared the Goal of the Week (DiegoRossi’s thing). Seattle looked like sluggish in that first half - gappy AF between the fullbacks and center backs, if nothing else. LAFC’s front four (Rossi, Carlos Vela, Marco Urena (who is great for this scheme) and Latif Blessing (who could be overrated)) really do look like something, though. Also walked away impressed by Mark-Anthony Kaye. Really good presence and not a name you’d know till you saw him.

Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Montreal Impact
I hinted at this above with Minnesota, but, beyond saying I walked away impressed with Daniel Lovitz, I’m not judging any team’s performance against Montreal till I’ve got more inputs. As for Vancouver, that had to be the most Kei Kamara finish in his own history. And…is that Aaron Maund’s name I see? Thoughts on both teams will remain pending, but Vancouver started right.

Sporting Kansas City 0-2 New York City FC
First, is that…Owen Wilson I’m hearing on the call? Second, and more importantly, Cristian Lobato made the ballsiest play of the fucking week and the recap doesn’t even name him? No wonder America’s dying! I count this the most stunning result of the weekend - and I hate SKC, so I enjoyed it. Also, I’m not sure about them in a 3-5-2. Watch them lose David (Fucking) Villa on NYCFC’s first goal. People hyped NYCFC this season…just put that in your back pocket.

And, finally…

Orlando City SC 1-1 DC United
Won’t too long on these - and, yes, I want to get them posted on Sundays going forward. Before diving in too deep, it bears noting that Orlando fielded five players making their MLS debuts. As for the game, I read this one as equal parts shitty and interesting. In spite of playing the weaker overall game (even if some of that followed from Orlando’s individual talent), DC had the sharper moments - and more of them came from Zoltan Stieber (whose name would not stop coming up) than Ulises Segura, who looked….well, not good. If DC has a game plan, it’s whanging the ball to Yamil Asad, and that works out OK for now…just, meh. As for Orlando, Doyle talked up who they couldn’t play in his review this weekend and that only makes how well Orlando nailed the fundamentals all the more impressive. Cam Lindley stood all the way out, but he had good company. It’s not that Orlando played a comprehensive game, but even their B-Team showed a clear, regular understanding of how to play out of pressure facing forward. Plenty of Orlando’s players showed strong - few of the new guys better than Mohamed El-Munir - but Victor Giro piled a hill for them to climb early with a clumsy, stupid red card. Fortunately, Orlando has veterans on the roster like Justin Meram - who hasn’t lost even one-tenth of a step since leaving Columbus - and, as a sweetener, Jonathan Spector; those guys stepped up when needed to engineer an equalizer. Orlando looked the better-drilled team, between them, and knowing they’ve got a bunch of (to be clear) starters waiting in the wings, that sets the trajectory for both teams a certain way, don’t you think?

All right, that’s it. And probably for the week. I’m still trying to figure out the adjustment to wholly consumed weekends, so I’m going to try to ease into this more than I usually do…says the guy who just typed two (more) pages of notes. Anyway, till next…should be Saturday, right? (And the Red Bulls just beat Club Tijuana in freakin’ Tijuana.)

No comments:

Post a Comment