Sunday, July 8, 2018

Portland Timbers 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes: Looking for Trouble on the Enthusiasm Express


Went a little abstract. Feels right. Cool drawing...
Dear God, where do I start this one? (Also, I mean not in the “Lord protect me” spirit, but the “holy whirling dervishes whirling in my head” spirit…tricky metaphor…)

I’ll begin by stating that I like everything about Samuel Armenteros, except what he did with his beard. It's his life, and all that, but also please reconsider.

In another vein, I saw a handful of tweets from last night to earlier this afternoon celebrating how the Portland Timbers played last night in their 2-1 win over the visiting San Jose Earthquakes. It’s a hard point to argue against, so I’ll do that later. For now, though, I’m on board The Enthusiasm Express. The last time a win felt possible before every single game, the Timbers won MLS Cup. And that’s the thing: a couple soft spots aside - again, Alvas Powell, but never catastrophically, and there’s still solving the problem of who either complements the team’s core players*, or replaces them when they go down - every player on the field moves and passes as if they know what’s next, and where his teammates should be for support. That applies to both defense and offense, and that is fucking magical, like, a fairy riding a unicorn level magical. The results have followed from too, and I say that as someone who replies to the words “eleven game unbeaten streak” with a tight smile. To put that another way, I’m on board The Enthusiasm Express, but I keep glimpsing troubling things out of the corner of my eye.

Before getting to the meat of this thing, I want to make a point and sort of save it for later. Think how you use a stringer to keep the fish you catch alive. That point: Armenteros should never have scored that second goal, just by the number of San Jose players around him. Moving on...

(* Diegos Valeri and Chara, Sebastian Blanco, Jeff Attinella, Larrys Mabiala and Zarek Valentin; I waited till after mentioning Armenteros because I think he belongs in the core at this point. A case can be made for other players, and that explains a lot of Portland's success to this point.)

It’s been a funny season, overall. For instance, think back to the team’s first win of 2018. It came against Minnesota United - and, get this, in fucking Portland - but the team still only won 3-2. The holy shit, what? win over New York City FC (also at home) came next and, again, the Timbers haven’t lost since then. They’ve looked better or worse winning or drawing. I just reviewed my posts for this season and the first time I brought up some form of the ideas in the paragraph immediately above - i.e., the players knowing what they’re doing and where they are - was the road win over this same San Jose team. That theme has dominated my coverage since, if with notable exceptions - e.g., draws at home versus the Los Angeles Galaxy and Sporting Kansas City - but the team looked like the version of themselves any sane man can’t help but believe in. And they continued that against San Jose last night. Until the end of the game, that is, and, to level with the reader, what the fuck was that mess at the end?

This is where I land on my actual thesis for this game, which is that this was the quintessential San Jose Earthquakes Result, as in it matched the profile I’d built for them by just tracking results in a way that really makes me think I should give numerology another look. Or a first look. Here’s the point: for as long as the 2018 season has been a thing, San Jose has a pattern of playing teams close, venue and opposition notwithstanding, but failing to get the result. It’s possible, in fact, that they are the best terrible team in MLS, because, goddamn, are the last-team-in-the-Western-Conference terrible. And yet they played a rock-solid, orange(?)-hot Portland Timbers team close enough last night to make the last 10 minutes sweaty and anxious. All that exists in a space that either doesn’t compute, makes perfect sense, or, with those semi-recent draws against SKC and LA, it computes in a way that augurs tougher times ahead.

Portland played circles around the ‘Quakes for vast stretches of this game; San Jose helped the effort by playing soccer as if the object was to find a spot on the field and spend 90 minutes turning circles within it - their version of buying war bonds, I guess. If you watch the highlights, you’ll see Armenteros put a half dozen chances on goal (one set up nice as you like, I should mention, by something special from Powell), and the outlines of a field tilted with some weight toward San Jose’s goal. What you won’t see is that San Jose must have made half of their chances - that’s on top of the goal Florian Jungwirth snuck under a visibly frustrated Jeff Attinella - in the game’s final minutes (then again, that overlooks Quincy Amarikwa’s bracing shot, which Attinella did save). And that’s when this game got weird.

For the life of me, I can’t figure out Portland’s tactics over the last 10 minutes. Based on what I saw, they played for a third goal, and against every piece of logic that wasn’t directed toward putting distance between them and San Jose’s surge. This only got under my skin around the 85th minute, a time when it made sense for Portland to keep their feet on the ball and make ‘Quakes players chase the game. I’m not talking about burying it in the corner for 3-5 seconds till the opposition hacks you down, or gets the ball out of bounds, but to try to pass the ball around for 20-30 seconds. It’s not like Portland had been passing badly till then (see, 85% over a healthy number of passes), and they had plenty of real estate behind them. San Jose seemed just as surprised by the tactic as I was (that’s “seemed”), but they’d stuff each attack and turn and send the ball the other way against a Portland defense that looked a little dizzy out there. Now, let’s talk about Armenteros’ second goal.

Count me impressed by it, and deeply: the way he got ahead of a defender, who looked like he had a good angle, while keeping ahead of another one biting at his heels; the way he stalled his run to cause the defender beside him to over-commit, then shot into the gap, stupid-crazy close to Andrew “I Can Let in Anything” Tarbell’s (and yet he had to solid saves) foot/hand complex. It was an impossible goal in every sense of the word, something he wouldn’t score given the same scenario 99 times out of 100. Hell, his bicycle shot looked more natural, but that’s the one Armenteros scored.

That was also the margin of victory in the end. I’m saying (at least) two things here: 1) good as Armenteros is, he won’t get goals like that on the regular, and 2) neither Armenteros nor the Timbers will get as many chances as they got against San Jose. That is how San Jose has played, based on my theory of numerology at least, and that’s why their season looks the way it does - bad, also not improving.

There’s a lot to love about this win, from the loose-goosey joy with which the Timbers are playing right now to what I’m perfectly happy to call The Samuel Armenteros Show (“How many goals will he score, folks! And from what strrannggge, exotic places? And will he bring his Beard of Magic?”). I guess I’m just disturbed to see the Timbers come that close to coughing up two points at home against a team they more or less played off the park for around 70 minutes. As well as that fits San Jose’s profile, I didn’t like seeing Portland drop into it smoothly as if the Gods had prepared a mold. Who knows? In those final minutes, maybe Portland looked back on the game and considered how it’s gone (e.g., 90% their way) and, with their unbeaten streak in the back of their collective minds, decided they’d do something stylish to kill off the game. I dunno, I’m probably being paranoid. And I know the Timbers just signed yet another Argentine, a guy reportedly able to slot into four, five positions in the midfield. Even with the process of on-boarding that guy to work around, that would put this team on the right side of stacked…

…look, I’m on board. I’m just the type who keeps his eye on the perimeter. Still, good game, necessary win, and, holy shit, did Armenteros have a game. That feels like the right place to end it. Till next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment