Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Translations on Someone Else's Notes: An MLS Round-Up


Useful, but A Plan is better. And other obsessions.
This won’t be complicated – at all. I read an article posted to The Mothership (mlssoccer.com) last night, asking my computer questions as I read. Yes, I mean out loud, rhetorically, and at an inanimate object (that will one day enslave us all); god forbid I look anything up. Some questions crawled out of narratives I’d concocted for each team while tracking league results last season, while something the author wrote triggered others. Either way, it felt like a good way to pass on a resource and to yak a little about MLS, league-wide.

The article in question was a fairly robust transfer tracker/analysis piece and, to make one thing clear, you’ll learn more reading it than you will reading this. I'm just adding value over here (arguably). In his piece, the guy (the author, Tom Bogert) listed all the teams, touching on subjects like “Biggest Move,” “Biggest Hole,” and projected starting Xi’s. For this post, I’ll only quote what I need to and trust those so interested to read the rest Bogert’s comments. Also, he goes through alphabetically, which I’ll do, but only after lifting Portland Timbers and FC Cincinnati to the top. I want to get to the good stuff early because I hear most people check out of articles as early as…jesus, never mind.

To those hanging in there, let’s get started.

FC Cincinnati
Bogert hypes the defense (“abnormally deep and talented defensive unit for an expansion club”), and sees a hole where FC Cincy needs a playmaker, but, of all the new guys on this new team, Leanardo Bertone carries the biggest question mark. Between glimpses, history and word of mouth, I have something to work with any of Cincinnati's MLS guys, and I’ve got a grasp on anyone who’s donned Timbers green and gold that a stalker would envy, but a midfielder from a team in the Swiss first division, even a good one, just tells me the guy held down a job in a slightly more desirable neighborhood in the greater soccer universe. I see his name in Bogert’s projected starting XI, and assume he’s going to be there (otherwise, why bother with Switzerland?), but doing what, exactly, and how well? Prove me wrong (I beg you), but I’m not as convinced on the defense, either. Chalk all the above to expansion season jitters. Questions surround this team like a zombie horde, so I’ll be skittish they make it to the well-fortified safe-house…at which time other emotions will surely come to the fore.

Portland Timbers
“What are the options when Diego Chara and Diego Valeri, both set to turn 33 in 2019, need a breather?”

Since Portland counter-punched their way to MLS Cup with Jeremy Ebobisse coming in only at the end, the question above feels like the big one. That said, I’m no less concerned about Portland’s back four. Chara and Valeri aren’t the only players bumping against retirement – see, Ridgewell, Liam – and the Timbers defense leaned closer to solid than lock-down in 2018. Also, even if Zarek Valentin grew all over me last season, I think teams will key on him – especially the ones with faster, more technical players, while also feeling like they're probably on to something. I heard Gavin Wilkinson’s talk about bringing in 3-4 new dudes, but still don’t expect to see a bigger rebuild until 2020. For good reason too: as a twitter correspondent (very patiently) explained to me, Portland can’t afford to carry ready-made replacements for Chara, Valeri, Ridgewell, or even Sebastian Blanco on the roster, so I expect Portland to get another group of understudies, maybe with a DP forward thrown in. All I know is, the closer we get to 2019, the more 2018 feels like the Timbers bought it on credit. If Portland can’t figure out another, reliable way to play, whether by tactics or personnel, I don’t see a return trip to MLS Cup unless Chara, Valeri and Blanco somehow raise the limit on the credit card.

Now, for the rest of ‘em….

Atlanta United FC
The coach thing is huge, obviously, going from Tata Martino to Frank de Boer, and I agree that’s the biggest question. The second, for me, revolves around Miguel Almiron, who I rated as an actual phenom, a true, game-bending force of nature; a league like MLS doesn’t often see the way he combined speed with control. I understand there’s a replacement in the pipeline (Pity Martinez), but Almiron really was/is* something (something about the rumors of his departure dying down). They ain’t unicorns or anything, but cheat-code players are real.

Chicago Fire
If you look at that projected XI, you see a respectable attacking core. The rest of those names could be an NASL roster for all I know about them (dig Raheem Edwards, tho), and Chicago has the “kicked-dog” thing down cold. They brought in a big, Brazilian defender named Marcelo, and here’s to hoping that’s Step 1 to recovery. Then again, this team regressed from 2017 to 2018 and that raises questions about the coach, Veljko Paunovic. Sometimes it’s the driver.

Colorado Rapids
Rumors link them to some players who might help them, and they’ve acquired some middling-to-productive-to-productively-petulant guys from the rest of the league (that’s Diego Rubio, Nicolas Mezquida and Kei Kamara, respectively), but the gap just looks wider than any of them can step over; as such, I’d burn stock on these guys absent more reinforcements - even there, it's important to keep the Rapids' record with imports in mind (no es bueno). This is from a guy who has seen more false dawns for the Rapids than anyone outside Colorado.

Columbus Crew SC
The big question here: what the hell does this team become post-Gregg Berhalter? Does a new coach actually scramble the pieces, I mean, when they've been mostly successful? On the other hand, "mostly successful" says a lot: they never won anything under Berhalter, so maybe his system needs blowing up?

DC United
With a “normal” season ahead (e.g., no massive road-trip to start it), seeing them continue trying to improve the attack (e.g., through former Estudiantes “best player” Lucas Rodriguez) suggests a club with a promising combination of ambition and resources.

FC Dallas
The post-Oscar Pareja era felt like something that needed to happen; if that team wasn’t stagnating, I need a thesaurus to get the more precise word. Related, this would have been ominous given recent seasons:

“Dallas were reported to be in for a quiet offseason by way of additions…”

Dallas ignored their own rumor, fortunately, picking up a new striker (Zdenek Ondrasek) and a new defender (Bressan). Overall, though, climbing out of their rut was always the first order of business.

Houston Dynamo
They reinforced in the areas of their greatest concern (e.g., defense (Aljaz Struna) and the midfield in front of it (Matias Vera)), which means they are addressing the right needs. The question, as always, is whether the additions work.

Los Angeles FC
Standing pat so far, and there’s too much plotting going around for that.

Los Angeles Galaxy
Just sort of standing around, not unlike an actor after his career dies.

Minnesota United FC
Going Scandinavian so far (Jan Gregus), while looking for more of the same (Fouad Bachirou), but I’m more curious as to whether they can get a season out of Kevin Molino. He just does stuff out there, and in a way that recalls Davy Arnaud. (But would he even work with Darwin Quintero?)

Montreal Impact
For all the fun parts on the car (Ignacio Piatti!), the tires are bald on this sucker. When you missed the playoffs for two straight years (see, Impact, Montreal), Maximiliano Urruti isn’t enough. Ask Dallas.

New England Revolution
I’ve always liked Kelyn Rowe, who the Revs (ultimately) traded to Sporting KC, but they get real value with Edgar Castillo, a guy who performed even when the Rapids didn’t. For what it’s worth, this Revs teams has always struck me as more misassembled than doomed from afar.

New York City FC
Life after David Villa sums it up nicely, which is a little like magic dying and joy leaving the world.

New York Red Bulls
By Bogert’s account, they’re sticking to Plan A, they have their guys plus enough cover, etc. And, yes, they just laid down the best Supporters' Shield winning regular season in league history (right?), and that makes a pretty strong case for Plan A. Moreover, if 2018 was a “freak” year, and Atlanta was a “freak” team, that lessens the gamble. But do you really want to count on that?

Orlando City SC
Blew up a team that needed blowing up; dice have been rolled. More later...

Philadelphia Union
“It’s got to be Sergio Santos at the moment, a Brazilian striker signed with TAM. Will he beat out Cory Burke and CJ Sapong for minutes, though?”

So long as the answer to the question is “no,” especially with Sapong, Philly will continue to be nothing more or less than a slightly better or worse Philly, depending on the season. This is a good team that could be a really good one with the right booster seat.

Real Salt Lake
A new, quality forward (German Cano, for example) would be great, but I don’t think they get another year out of Kyle Beckerman, and is that being addressed? Like now?

San Jose Earthquakes
Even if the points dried up for the ‘Quakes, the fighting spirit never did; I’ll remember them from 2018 as the team that lost often, but rarely badly. They have a new coach in Matias Almeyda, but they also have the same roster. So, unless Almeyda is one Hell of a coach…

Seattle Sounders
While they finished strongly enough to justify the choice - the winning streak that took them to the playoffs was bat-shit epic - I think they’ll return too much of the same squad and that won’t be good. They’ll also keep Brian Schmetzer, which I, 1) don’t get, but 2) can’t really credibly replace (my god, I’ve gone soft), but he just feels, for lack of a better word, irrelevant. All in all, my current frame predicts a good year of Jordan Morris that aging/injured players will cancel out. Also, I’m personally excited to see Chicago’s Jonathan Campbell somewhere else; here's to hoping for progress for him.

Sporting Kansas City
Expect another good year from them, maybe even a great one if either Krisztian Nemeth (likelier) or Erik Hurtado (less likely) steps up. Also, I don’t know what Rowe does for this team, but he totally seems like a Peter Vermes player (show him a wall, and he'll run through it).

Toronto FC
On the poisoned-well theory, I wouldn’t put money on TFC to win anything but the Canadian Cup next season. They’ll be better than 2018, but they’re also pulling that “let’s get the team back together one more time, and invite Laurent (Ciman) this time” thing that I generally mistrust. Agree with me or don’t, I’m a big believer in seeing a future when I look ahead instead of a string of impending retirements. (Careful readers should notice a theme by now.)

Vancouver Whitecaps
The ‘Caps had less reason than Orlando to blow its roster all the hell, but they definitely did it and did the right thing at the same time. I don't know how equipped they are to lay a foundation, but they might want to go that way, y'know, after they blew up their former core.
OK, that’s it. Happy as I was to have Bogert catch me up from a league-wide perspective, I think league-wide content will happen less and less till the league kicks off. God willing, I’ll remember all the above well enough to be able to flag any trades or incoming transfers as the correct decision for a given club, even if the specific player in question has to prove he's up for it. Besides that, I’ll just be sitting here, waiting impatiently for March 2 like the rest of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment