Saturday, May 25, 2019

Philadelphia Union 1-3 Portland Timbers: The Day the Road Trip Ended Well

I just feel really good about tonight. Get over it.
After a first half that saw the Portland Timbers two goals up and playing pretty soccer, nothing short of an injury and/or electro-shock therapy could have made me call tonight’s game a bad result. That the Philadelphia Union playing pretty goddamn well has a lot to do with that. After pulling back a truly one-of-those-nights-weird goal at the very start of the second half, Philly piled on 15-20 minutes’ worth of relentless pressure, picking the ball off Timbers’ toes and swallowing up everything that got inside their half. That only leaves me more impressed with how Portland handled the so very many things that Philly threw at them all night. The game ended 3-1 after a Diego Valeri goal of Platonic simplicity put the stuffing back into Portland’s two-goal cushion.

Even if Portland stole two, or even all three, goals tonight, they stole some gems: Andy Polo’s cross on the first demands “exquisite” as a qualifier; 80% of what happened on Portland’s go-ahead goal* was perfect; and, after surviving the soccer equivalent of Leningrad, Valeri scored that glorious, sling-shot of a winner. And all this happened against a good team, playing well, and at home. Tonight’s win over Philly confirms the eye test of the past 5-6 games: Portland, 1) still has viable (healthy) talent, and 2) has its shit figured out. At this point, the Timbers sure as hell look like they’ve got another genuinely competitive season in them, and can I get a huzzah?! (* I just have to note that Diego Chara's touch was long; he didn't "draw out" Andre Blake, but he did hear Fernandez charging over his shoulder, thank God).

Because the rest of this post will probably swim with turns of phrase that will have people saying “jesus, get a room,” I want to close out my thoughts on the Union up top. Based on everything I’ve seen, this is a very good team that got, first, beat by a great cross, then undone by having to chase too much of the game. The teams largely traded blows in the first half, the only difference was Portland landed theirs; Philly threw the more promising punches and dozens more of them. The adjustments the Union made in the second half should send shake the spines of every Eastern Conference team; between Ilsinho coming on and twisting the Timbers’ defensive left into knots and, so far as I’m concerned, Haris Medunjanin forever having too much time for dissection, and too many Union players finding openings, the Union pried at gaps in the defense. It took a series of interventions and straight-up heroics from Steve Clark to let Portland hang on.

And, on that glass-shattering high note, Portland’s 12-game road-trip comes to an end. Assuming I got the math right in last week’s FormGuide ULTRA, they collected 14 points over 12 road games. As someone I watched with tonight pointed out, that’s over a point per game as an average, and I guess he pointed that out because it’s good thing, I do not know. What I do know is that Portland has played well for a while, they seem strangely impervious to meaningful injury (who’s Cristhian Paredes? I’m kidding!), and I’m more concerned with that than a 4-6-2 record, or 14 points. The fact they’re now 4-1-1 over the last six games, and that’s all on the road, all against credible teams (e.g., Toronto, Real Salt Lake, and…Columbus Crew SC, and now, Philly tonight), well, that gives a man leave for a couple huzzahs.

If you want to quibble, was it perfect? Only in certain places, and the good Lord shined on the Timbers at least two…no, three recorded times (that was not Jamir Monteiro's best shot), by which I mean that’s all I can find in the highlights and, yes, I feel like the Union had every opportunity to score over those 15-20 minutes. In one of those cases where the box score confirms the eye test, Philly was ample where Portland was precise. I all but guarantee that any neutral watching long stretches of that match would argue that the Timbers got lucky, but I think there’s something different and better going on. In so many words, a plan came together…

When I say Portland has things figured (or appears to, or has it figured out for now; people change, hairstyles change, etc.), I mean they have tantalizing options all over the field. I was told why Brian Fernandez started over Sebastian Blanco tonight going in, but Blanco still came on for Ebobisse at the 60th minute, and that’s my basic point about what the Timbers have assembled in the attack this season. That switch, and with that much time left in the game, is entirely on the table for the Timbers and right now (and, arguably, it paid off with an understanding that created Valeri's goal). They can start Blanco in the next game and, if they wind up playing an opponent more susceptible to crosses, they can swap in Ebobisse, oh, around the 60th minute. My point is that, squad rotation is a broad concept; the most important thing is that the players involved need real time, and real-time situation to become effective. 30 minutes is real time in my book…

…and that doesn’t mean I don’t also like giving a player a week off just to de-stress him. Hell, even if you give a player a week off for the most innocent of reasons, you can probably count on professional paranoia kicking in and giving you a sharper, hungrier performance the next time he starts. If nothing else – and it’s this roster that makes me obsess on it – this means Portland has a talented, attacking sub to bring on for any reason until further notice. To finish the thought, holy shit.

Let’s see, what else is there? I don’t have much to say beyond, “remember? that was so awesome” over and over, so I’ll close with some bullet points. Hopefully, they’re worthwhile.

- I’m fine with the competition between Clark and Jeff Attinella, and I’ll never mind seeing either one of them between the sticks when I do.

- Larrys Mabiala was imperious every time I saw him tonight. Between him and Bill Tuiloma, I think Portland has a starting defense for a couple seasons.

- This might have been Valeri’s best game of 2019, and I mean more than just the goal.

- I’ve come to the conclusion that Andres Flores is a short Terminator, something that can’t actually be destroyed. He’s this season’s Lawrence Olum, only at a different place on the field. He’s the guy who keeps starting that you can’t ever argue against with full success, the definition of reliable, etc.

- Zarek Valentin probably had the roughest night tonight, but Jorge Villafana survived his share of abuse. Again, the Timbers had to survive this game. To do that, score three goals, and pick up all three points: that’s an accomplishment, y’all!

- That said, I appreciated the safety-first Gio Savarese took tonight by starting those two players. And that makes me even more happy that Portland can call on Jorge Moreira when the right kind of opportunity knocks.

Guys, Portland has a flexible, reasonably deep roster. That’s what you need to win a league…

To wrap up, I want to beat Los Angeles FC in the home opener, and very badly. All the same, I’ll survive and still smile if they don’t. LAFC is one hell of a good team, they backed up the hype, etc. Philadelphia was a good team too. This is gonna be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment