Sunday, September 8, 2019

Notes on a Weekend Without Soccer: A Position Statement

The past couple weeks, maybe even the last month, have been the strangest and most uncomfortable in my 23 years of following Major League Soccer. More precisely, the last three years have been annoyingly fucked up and the proximate cause is Trumpism. Anyone who finds that argument unfair, or just plain wrong…just stop. You’re wrong. Politics has invaded every inch of our increasingly cursed lives since Trump took office. Speaking as someone who has read and tracked politics for as long as I could process it, it has never been like this, not in my lifetime. The country is arguing very loudly about the kind of country it wants to be and the kids are, naturally, freaking out.

And that sucks. It’s getting harder and harder to find spaces where you don’t need to think about our visibly panicked and confused president, or the people who think he’s the greatest thing to happen to this country since…what the moon landing? Joseph McCarthy? Some mythic past a critical mass of people digested from television and now confuse for their own lives? The positions are so profoundly entrenched that people don’t even operate from the same reality.

That makes creating neutral spaces very tempting, but also impossible. And, to expand the conversation, the people who are grievously pissed about MLS trying to chase politics out their stadiums should consider how much that decision follows the same logic of trying to make public spaces secular, so as to not favor one religion over another. Personally, I’m delighted with religion-free public spaces (I’m merely agnostic on my more spiritual days), but tens of millions of Americans think that’s why the country is going to hell. As such, they keep fighting for prayer in public schools and singing the national anthem, like, way more often than I think they should.

The rest of this both carries that word “fighting” forward and also quietly lays down in a corner. Americans who wanted to keep God at the center of public life never stopped pushing to make it happen. And, when they didn’t get there, they created work-arounds, some of them frankly, racist – e.g., opting out of the public schools where their kids should attend, because fuck community if it means sharing the classroom with them (more on that). To me, that’s arguing that some Americans are more equal than others, and I’ve got no time for that bullshit, if you don’t like it, fucking pull on your big boy pants and improve those classrooms.

That brings this back to soccer and the protests over the Code of Conduct policy banning “political speech” in MLS stadiums. I agree with the supporters’ groups’ position, and I also believe the league is being a combination of naïve and complicit in how they’re managing it. Whether they banned presenting the Iron Front symbol in a way you can see it on TV via failure to seriously investigate the controversy, or whether they’ve got…I don’t know, random MAGA agitators, influential conservative owners, or Fox breathing down their necks, the league’s policy against the Iron Front banner runs against their “Don’t Cross the Line” campaign in every particular I can think of. If you don’t continually advocate for that position, especially when someone challenges it, it’s a slogan that seeks to pacify the audience as opposed to…y’know, living the slogan and giving it real meaning.

And that’s very much in the context of reports of racist abuse at the Portland Thorns game in Utah, and Sporting Kansas City’s visit to Portland. Hold that thought…

As everyone knows, the Portland Timbers’ home, Providence Park, has seen two weeks of protests, or, to step in it, semi-protests against the banning of the Iron Front flag and the ban on political speech in general. For what it’s worth, I thought everyone involved did fairly well in the first one, and waving that big-ass Iron Front flag was genuinely brave, what with the implications unknown. As for the second, last night’s game against Sporting KC (hold on, YES! That was awesome!!!)…that wasn’t protest. I don’t intend to run for Director of Tactics in any of this commentary, or second-guess anyone, but that game looked totally normal because not setting off smoke bombs isn’t really noticeable, especially not to an audience beyond Portland (and, as a long-time Timbers fan, I only notice the smoke when I’m at the stadium). Maybe the people involved took that route to honor some path of negotiations, but that isn’t relevant to the argument that a protest that isn’t visible doesn’t count. Also, if that was their reasoning, I’ll wait to see what comes next and trust that they know more than I do.

That’s actually where I am with all of this: waiting to see what comes next.

I decided not to write posts about both Portland's and FC Cincinnati’s games this weekend as a tiny gesture of support for the protests, whatever form they took. While that’s a big deal to me – this lets me have fun writing and I love writing (and both games were fat, slow throws right over the plate; juicy AF) – my silence is as invisible as my posts in the grand scheme. Giving up something I love to do the equivalent of stand on a street corner protesting U.S. meddling in Iran (as about a dozen dudes (all dudes) do every Friday at Pioneer Square) doesn’t feel like a worthwhile trade off to me. As such, and barring a big turn for the worse, I’m going back to regular programming next weekend…or whenever the next game is. I know FC Cincy has a dense patch ahead.

As for the protests, there’s a blunt reality in play: MLS won’t budge unless Timbers fans, ideally with fans across the league behind them, make it hurt. What happened last night screamed “Cold War,” aka, a static, unhappy state of play for both sides. People buying up tickets, but refusing to attend – aka, an empty stadium - is the best way I can think to make it hurt, but I’m open to options. Broadly, though, and with very little skin in the game on my end*, hurting MLS will require some pain on your end. (*Again, full disclosure, I rarely go to games, so there’s not much I can do to ding the Timbers/MLS financially, or in any meaningful way. Related, if someone can convince me that my choice to go silent made anyone nervous, I’ll go radio-silent tomorrow.)

Even if the protests don’t continue – and for whatever reason – the pressure should keep up. If the left learns just one (fucking) thing from the conservative takeover of most of the country’s state governments and, now, the federal courts, it’s don’t give up and be willing to play a long game. If too few fans can be moved to come together for an “action” (e.g., an empty stadium, a large protest outside the stadium before the game – again, something visible), get laser-focused on getting ANY (motherfucking) asshole willing to drool racism in a stadium identified, shamed, and banned for life. Make MLS live up to its own campaign.

To close on a darker note, I didn’t expect more from MLS. I am highly cynical when it comes to any corporate entity, especially one born as a model to insulate itself from just about anything (so, so FIFA), so this particular disappointment felt predictable. When it comes to the Timbers, in particular, they know they have a waiting list, and that makes giving up season tickets in protest among the saddest sacrifices that no small number of people are contemplating right now. For all the years and attention I’ve given to MLS, I know plenty of people who lapped my commitment to this league and to the Portland Timbers, in particular, within the span of one season. And it breaks my heart to hear they’re considering giving up their season tickets.

If MLS was worth a shit, it’d break theirs too.

As for me, I’ll keep following this half-assed, half-witted, fully-concealed league until I can’t stomach it. My personal line will be open, unchallenged racism/sexism/just general bullshit in the stands. The day I hear you can’t go to an MLS without hearing that kind of bullshit, I’ll walk away and do what I can to burn it down.

So long as I’m going, though, expect regular cheap shots at the league’s expense. I love my team(s), but this league needs to get its head out of its ass.

6 comments:

  1. Much respect Jeff. Always, but especially today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well stated, Jeff. But, I find I have a little different reaction. Ever since the late seventies, the Timbers have always been my team, even under some very uneven ownership - local business people; Harry Merlo; some uncaring minor league baseball franchise, and finally, another baseball guy who saw the light. It's ok; even in England where most Premier teams have been sited in the same town for 100+ years, it's the age of corporate/sovereign fund ownership. Besides indulging my hometown chauvinism, I just enjoy watching the game played reasonably well.

    If one reads the noisiest Timber-related twitterers, these are the end days. The one person (there was NO ONE ELSE on the horizon in 2010) that had an interest (yes, a profit-oriented business interest) in bringing top level soccer to PDX is now described in sneering tones as an unwoke tool of corporate fascists.

    The cynic in me wonders if a number of activists took up Timbers soccer mainly because it was an accepting location to wave virtuous signs in front of a captive audience of thousands. The cynic in me is pretty sure I'll never see similar two-sticks waved at a Trailblazers or Seahawks game. Is that another divide in America? That some team sports are right-wing or left-wing? If so, then the activists did pick the most receptive sport in this town. However, problem is that pro soccer in this country just isn't as financially healthy as the Big Three sports that your and my neighbors undoubtedly watch. So an attempt to cripple my sport locally to make a point may have unintended consequences. The Timbers might not spring back like an NFL franchise would.

    Because of MLS HQ not adopting the anodyne rules about political expression that other big sports have, it's turned into a pissing contest. Everyone's in their corner with positions hardened. It's getting harder for all parties to save face in an agreement. Not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd suggest these protests run parallel to the "take a knee" actions in the NFL, or even the hoodie thing after Trayvon Martin in the NBA; examples of "left" activism exist in those spaces, the reaction is different based on different audiences (e.g., the kneeling protests pissed off A LOT of NFL fans, while the hoodie thing was fairly well-received, if I remember correctly). My point there is, that political protests aren't unique to MLS or Portland.

    To pick up on your third paragraph, I naturally gravitated toward soccer through counter-culture - e.g., as something of a cultural/political refugee who never expected to be represented. I don't think that's an unusual profile in American supporter culture, especially in Portland, and people from those orbits tend to have "left-leaning" (hate that term; don't think it means anything of use) politics. In other words, I think the same kind of self-selection takes place in the Timbers community that happens in, say, academia or newsrooms (also, Portland). It's more natural than conscious, and it fits well when they step inside.

    The intensity of expression, however, does stand out - and that nods at your point. It probably goes back to the social justice/activist impulse, so I'm not surprised by it; I'm used to people sounding like that because it's almost a sub-dialect.

    I find the actual specific dispute maddening because I can't really wrap my head around why it exists - i.e., the stuff about the "Don't Cross the Line" campaign above - and that's over half my objection to the policy; it doesn't strike me as necessary, never mind wise, and that makes it feel vaguely insulting. Going the other way, waving that flag isn't the test; it's how people react together or separately to someone barking racist shit in the stands. One gesture is symbolic, one is actual.

    To your final point, whether this could bite Portland (or even American) soccer fans on the ass? Sure. My larger point is that the people who feel burned by that might not feel much if a team they feel alienated from passes away. That's sort of the conundrum at the heart of the situation, so I think the question of face-saving lies more with MLS than the fans - some of whom will walk away without looking back. That they'll have other options for watching soccer will make it easier to walk away. The above was mostly to talk about that choice of sticking with the league or walking away, because I think that's what the choice will become for people who are sufficiently invested in the Iron Front question.

    At any rate, I appreciate the response and the different point of view. And way to put in the time! I can only go back to the Timbers' first year in the USL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had another thought: I sometimes go to Hillsboro Hops games and those events attract a *clearly* more conservative crowd; let's just say the socio-cultural markers abound. I have no expectation that it should be otherwise when I walk into the stadium and I don't feel uncomfortable or demand accommodation to make me feel "welcome."

    The Timbers' supporters' group evolved the way it did; why matters less than the fact that it exists.

    I guess my thought is, I can handle political speech/thought that I don't agree with, or that weirds me out a little. That informs my opinion on MLS's policy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jeff, for responding to my comment so thoughtfully. It's complicated how I feel. As an old-timer in soccer, I'm less likely to wander off and seek other unrelated activities if the MLS disappoints me. Soccer, in a general sense, will be an interest even if the Timbers became unbearable. My comment was a little grumpy because I love the sport. People should feel free to move on with their lives as they see fit, out of whatever ethical/political disappointment they feel.

    Maybe I just need to get off of Twitter. The shouting, the anonymous calling-out, the over-the-top positions taken may be getting on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The love of the sport comes through - and twitter is hard on the eyes most days. It's a tough issue. I've built a major part of my spare time around this league, so a lot of it feels too much like fighting with family.

    ReplyDelete