Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Portland Timbers 1-2 Tigres UANL: Three Team Round Robins Are Kinda Dumb

Possible metaphor for capitalism...
I’m going to let the game thread handle the play-by-play for the Portland Timbers...yeah, I’m going to call it disappointing 1-2 home loss to Tigres UANL. I’ve started 100 posts with “I’ll keep this short” only to delete it after I’ve run over by a mile and a thousand meters, but, seriously, this result doesn’t tie into anything besides the present (current?) tournament, there’s no question left but whether the Timbers make the first round and...hold on, I have some breaking news...

The Timbers have, in fact, already qualified for the second round. And, yeah, that makes sense: With Portland still on a +1 goal differential, a Tigres win would kill San Jose’s chances of topping that and vice versa, and San Jose can’t pass them on points even if they won a penalty shoot-out...wow, a three-team round-robin set-up is kinda dumb. Tidy, but dumb.

To briefly summarize the game (again, please also consult the game thread for additional material/insights), the game started with some light groping, only then the Timbers got into a rhythm – seriously, they countered in a way that gave me whiffs of nostalgia – and, before you knew it – POW! (ZOWEEE!) – they went up 1-0 on a cracking free-kick by Evander (c’mon, a non-celebration celebration is still a celebration). Not content to be the hero of the play, Evander made the fool decision to pantomime a swing that grazed the top of a Tigres player’s head, which right got him sent off for a second yellow, two yellows make a red, etc.

Won’t lie, didn’t love what followed – see below – but, the Timbers dodging two fairly reasonable penalty calls aside (don't think either made the highlights, so...), Portland handled playing a man down...let’s go with capably. You don’t have to love what you don’t hate and, honestly, it held together until it didn’t. The decisive moment came when Juan David Mosquera let Jesus Angulo bolt past his shoulder at the back post with the goal yawning wide before him. Tigres scored and the game effectively ended. If memory serves and the numbers add up, Portland managed just one more shot on goal after that and, in my mind...I guess I’d say they did some things I wouldn’t have.

Is there really anything to be upset about here? I mean, if you gotta, go nuts and all, but the only real damage comes with Evander being unavailable for the now-inevitable next game. I imagine opinions on his contributions differ at this point, maybe even wildly, but he’s scored two goals that I’m guessing no one else on the roster could have in the past two games and he’s arguably the only Timber capable of changing the game with a pass that doesn’t have to follow from beating a defender on the dribble.

If you're not gonna hit a motherfucker, don't swing.
Still, I don’t call that a tough loss by any means. Fuck it, you lived to play another day and, call me crazy, but I don’t think the Timbers played all that badly. Take away one truly stupid fucking decision (don’t swing unless you wanna hit, goddammit), and one unfortunate mistake (shake it off, Juan David), I’ve seen worse. Far worse, even, and recently.

That’s it. It’s talking points and questions from here:

Some Negatives
1) I didn’t care for the choice to drop into a low-block 4-4-1 (mixed with a 4-3-2 when they got saucy) during the game and don’t care for it now. The overall situation called for a little more faith that the three points were out there. Related...

2) “Why not Blanco?’ That comes from my in-game notes. Despite watching literally decades worth of soccer, I have never understood the concept/argument...is it even a thought(?) behind the super-late sub. Gio Savarese didn’t make attacking subs until Portland went down at the 80th minute, and I get that, but...why the hell wait eight minutes to send in the subs? Seriously, what is the purpose of that decision? What does it improve? How does it help? Just....why?

2a) And why the hell would you do that in a game where the team needs to make the 100%-absolute most out of every attacking moment? Again, why not Blanco? Yeah, yeah, Santiago Moreno, but...I think this goes back to the apparent decision to play for a draw...

3) Also not wild about Jaroslaw Niezgoda coming on for Felipe Mora at halftime – and that’s even if Mora needs a rest. Portland’s best passing player (Evander) had already left the game, so...why sub in one of the team’s least reliable passing players?

4) Just a quibble here: three times late in the game, Portland got a free kick and immediately put it on the ground and took it. The ref let all of them play (his least weird decisions of the night; swear the dude was on coke and mushrooms), but the Timbes' choice to go fast didn’t yield any material benefit. I think they kicked the ball backwards every fucking time. Just...think before you do,  yeah? A quick free kick can work against a team before it settles, but read the room/game, guys.

Some Positives
1) Paredes Parade
In last week’s post, I complained about Paredes not having a clear role in Portland’s attack. He answered that unheard complaint tonight, and generally, by showing his value in the attack, but also by turning in one of the most dominant defensive performances of his career. Paredes fucking crushed it tonight and I’ll be the first to say it’s a fucking shame that happened in a loss.

At any rate, Paredes kinda does the same thing no matter where he is on the field: move the ball around and move with it. He’s a hub, basically. The Timbers Organization will have to decide what to do with that, but he’s also arguably giving as much value to this team as any player on any given day. I have nothing to say, but bravo.

2) Speaking of, Claudio Bravo played an interesting one tonight. That’s less about the familiar fuck-ups (I mean, if you haven’t priced that in yet...), than about his confidence going forward. The fact those two came together and almost led to a goal is also noteworthy...

3) If there’s a hill I’ll die on this season, it’s the argument that the core of the Timbers’ defense is not the problem: I truly and often valued Zac McGraw as the last and largely effective brick wall that stopped most of Tigres’ attacks and, is it just me or have you seen Zuparic slipping into the attack more often lately? After that, I mean Ivacic is Ivacic. I think that defense is good enough.

And that’s it. Even if it wasn’t exactly short. Till the next one. And I’m glad there will be. Because fun!

2 comments:

  1. Gio, his whole coaching career, has believed that 'if I just give __ a few more minutes, he'll find his sea legs and turn this thing around!' Must have had a defining moment like that as a player and has made it his core belief as a coach.

    Why not Blanco in? Because Blanco now has knee joints composed of frayed rubber bands and delicate crystal? I hope he's got future career plans that don't depend on deep knee bends.

    And Niezgoda better have future career plans that don't depend on goal-scoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole thing with Blanco's a mystery to me. I get limiting his minutes to get him back to wholly whole, but I'm also not seeing any sign of the limits being loosened.

    I have seen plenty of Niezgoda, on the other hand. At this point, I would take literally any other player/concept over him getting on the field. Seriously, try Larrys at forward. Don't think it could go any worse.

    ReplyDelete