Sunday, July 15, 2018

Los Angeles FC 0-0 Portland Timbers: Mentioning the Unmentionables

As often happens, what you don't talk about matter most.
Won’t lie. I know where the condensed games live (thanks, @FWjmcg!), but I’m still coming to grips with the idea of watching any video on my phone for more than three minutes. That’s my previous record, by the way. It might have gone high as five once, but…I mean, shit, doesn’t the whole thing feel like a compromise? It seems like we’ve spent a couple decades making big ass TVs, and no we’re watching sports on tiny little phone screens? Ain’t wrong, but it ain’t right either.

Right, the game. The Portland Timbers pushed Los Angeles FC to a goal-less draw in Los Angeles, and with the emphasis on “push.” If anyone tells you that the - just to mention it, visiting - Portland didn’t look the likelier team to win, they watched a different game than I did. This confirmed a couple theories, by the way, particularly as evidence about where LAFC fits into the larger picture of Major League Soccer. On that, and lifts my bluntest phrasing out of this sprawling monstrosity, “they’re dropping points in pretty non-elite ways.” Here, the “they” means LAFC. And they did it again tonight.

I didn’t know what to expect today more than anyone else. I’d heard plenty about the LAFC hype-train, but I think even their fans know to take a shot of that with the famous combination of lime and, yes, salt. LAFC might have beat the Timbers on every facet of the box score (except clearances!) but the highlights better match what I recall; on the quality of the shots and, yeah, that’s all Timbers. One team hit the post (thanks again, Samuel Armenteros), while the other floated a couple vague, wet farts toward goal…to think what could have been had Diego Valeri buried that ball he picked off Steven Beitashour’s ambling toe.

God’s honest truth (also, we’ll see), I don’t have a lot to say about this one. In real-world terms - that is, getting a point on the road against a well-regarded and direct rival, and generally looking like the home team doing it, that’s mission accomplished in any league. Portland looked comfortable for most of the night, even on the back foot. LAFC, on the other hand, struggled to contain Portland’s counter (or just its general hyper-verticality and mobility), and couldn’t punch back with anything Jeff Attinella couldn’t swat away. The field tilted Portland’s way on all that, contra the box score and, no, in no way do I think this predicts how Portland will do in Wednesday’s U.S.Open Cup game against this same Los Angeles FC team. Both teams have had their, “no, you throw the first punch” moment, but the real fight - or some version of it, with or without pearl-clutching squad rotation from either team - comes this Wednesday.

Because the Timbers won this round in just about every meaningful sense, here’s to hoping that’ll carry them to victory and the final whistle next mid-week, and that’ll get them to the semifinals of the U.S. Open Cup. (In which, and looking at the rest of the competition, I like our chances - and LAFC’s, by translation…shit! that’s a lot to play for.) That game, though, will unwind as it does regardless of what took place today. And with both teams knowing the other a little better. I’m not even gonna say how I see that playing out, because I don’t want to jinx…just anything. Back to tonight, and this’ll be, like, crazy brief, if only for me:

There are only so many different ways I can say “the Portland Timbers are playing really well” and “Diego Chara is this team’s most important player,” so that is my entire comment on both points. Almost. Look, what makes Chara so goddamn good - no, vital - happened around the 35th minute. That’s when “Commander” Adama Diomande got down Portland’s left, somewhat behind the defense. Julio Cascante ran him down and, like a good defender with an attacker on an island and his goal behind him, Cascante just stood him up. Chara tracked back within half a second, and from the other end of the field. With Diomande all alone, Cascante stood by to cover a breakdown, while Chara just bit after the ball until he got it. Little moments like that matter every bit as much as Samuel Armenteros flicking the ball to himself and scoring (what the hell? why not relive it?). I’m confident that those same moments have the Timbers where they are right now - e.g., in fourth place and with games in hand to take down at least one team. LAFC could be next too. Aim high, y’all.

While I’m on the defense, does anyone else get the feeling that Cascante and Larrys Mabiala have quietly cemented their status on the Timbers’ back-line, and that’s wherever they land? I say that with less malice to, say, Liam Ridgewell, than appreciation for how sturdy those two have become.

On that formation, beyond “what the fuck was up with that?”, I didn’t necessarily mind it. I saw it presented as a 3-2-3-2, a 3-5-1-1, and even a 5-3-2, and that was fine. If I had to guess, it was the “3” at the back that mattered, the Mabiala, Lawrence Olum, Cascante clog in front of the drain that was Portland’s goal, something that makes sense given LAFC’s (allegedly) hydra-headed attack. For better or worse, a case can be made that Giovanni Savarese constructs his team from the back, meaning, he’ll figure out how to stop the opposition first, then go from there. (That said, Portland plays an elegant version of that thanks to personnel.) More to the point, I think that formation is a myth, because when hasn’t Olum played as just another defender since _________?

And I think that’s the best through-line I can pick for Portland’s season so far. There are so many things about this team that fans take as givens, and rightly so. For instance, Chara will own just about any game in which he plays; also, Diego Valeri will do 20 things in any given game that looks like the kind of straight-up kung-fu master shit that you’ll still be asking about 10 weeks later. I don’t dwell on that stuff, precisely because it is the normal for the Portland Timbers. The same goes for Attinella, and…just a shit-ton of players. Every time Attinella’s goal got threatened, he shifted to block it (that's the key) in a place that looked good enough to make you ask whether it wasn’t the perfect place.

By way of closing up shop, I don’t want to give anyone the impression that the Portland Timbers blew LAFC off the park. Sure, the Timbers generated the better shots, had the better game-plan; but hasn’t that been true for most of this season, or even just past the first twelve games? To update that broad idea, this was a major test for this Portland Timbers team - a question for auditioning their road game in the event they play a home-away series, say, during the playoffs - and the Timbers passed. Comfortably, too, and without cheating.

I won’t claim that I see the Promised Land (even though I totally see three of them now…guess which one is my FAVORITE!!), but I think the Timbers have mapped out a promising path to get them there. If you said you saw that at the beginning of the season, yes, I’m calling you a liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment