Thursday, October 21, 2021

FC Cincinnati: Requiem for a Team


I couldn’t watch FC Cincinnati’s latest debacle last night, and The Mothership spared me from the temptation of pissing away another 15 minutes of my life by not posting an MLS in 15 highlight reel. I did, however, take in the highlights, which means I saw Luka Stojanovic kick a rare happy ending into submission. Nine times out of ten, any player skies that shot miles above the bar, but, when you're born under a bad sign...

What I did see of this game immediately reminded me of the road game in back in July, the one in Montreal where Cincy blew two two-point leads in the same afternoon. When they jumped out to the early lead, fans could day-dream a little, maybe even think 2021 would be different. It was early enough in the season for that, honest. That might have been the high water-mark for optimism.

It just occurred to me all three of FC Cincinnati’s seasons in MLS have unfolded the same way. They start out all right - remember flirting with the strongest start for an expansion team in 2019? the playoff-like game against the Portland Timbers in 2020’s MLS Got Back tournament? - and then spend the rest of the season stepping on rakes.

As some point, you’d think all involved would ask themselves who is making decisions for the team and tell (beg?) them to stop. I’ve heard rumors Ken(?) Berding sticks his nose into shit, which makes some sense, given the rich asshole habit of confusing wealth with having useful contributions to make on any subject. They hired Chris Albright, so here’s to hoping the author(s) of the team’s construction and woe steps back, shuts up and gives him room to try to right a ship that starts sinking about ten games into every season.

I put in the time to read Matt Doyle’s wrap on FC Cincy’s 2021, and that’s far more words that anyone needs to put another bad season to bed. What’s wrong with this team?

Everything. Literally everything.

He does have some good thoughts in there, but one passage in particular echoes a thought that’s been taking shape in my head over the past week:

Revelation

For the third straight year the answer is “nobody,” which is horrifying given that they’ve had a No. 1 and a No. 2 overall draft pick and have signed a bunch of U22 Initiative guys.”

I’ve never watched, or, gods help me, actively followed a team like FC Cincinnati. With literally any other team, there was something - maybe an uptick in results down the stretch, maybe even some slaying of giants, or a young player who hints at the beginning of something better next season, or the one after that. I don’t get any of that from Cincy. I don't think even winning their last four would change my read on this team.

Here's a fun question: is Brenner a good player?

No idea. Put him on another team and find out.

For the rest of 2021, I figure I’ll watch Cincinnati if I don’t have to move much to do it. I’d rather have the two hours at this point. I’m pretty sure I’ll be back next season - or at least I have no plans not to be. (Related, I should probably just accept that I get bored in the middle of every MLS season.) The one thing I can say at this point: FC Cincinnati will have to earn my brighter expectations in 2022. If the last three seasons have taught me anything, it’s that things can outright fucking collapse down the stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment