Monday, September 10, 2018

MLS Week 28, Form Guide ULTRA: Short Week, Long Data

Meaningless. You have never walked a perfectly straight line.
First, the usual caveat: this post is like an iceberg, in that most of it lurks down below, more than you'd imagine (and certainly enough to sink a boat). Most of that takes the form of tracking the last 10 results for all the teams in Major League Soccer. Most of it is self-explanatory (you’ll see), but, to explain the main shorthand I use down below: “IN” = teams in the playoffs, or projected to get there; “OUT” = means those doomed to watch the playoffs; and “Marginal” designates teams that can’t stay in one of those two camps. And, just to note it, some of those teams project to go one way (e.g., DC United, an upgrade after months slotted under “OUT”), while some project downward spirals, perhaps flaming ones (e.g., the New England Revolution and the newly-scrambled Los Angeles Galaxy).

Just to note the stray support for those projections, The Mothership (MLS’s official site), they did a whip-‘round of their analysts to ask which teams each projected into the 2018 post-season for each MLS conference. While the order among each set of six teams changed, every in-house pundit picked the same six for each conference. Were I the editor who got that material back, I would have re-packaged that article without listing everyone’s choices. Seriously, what’s the point?

Speaking of, what is the point of all this - especially when The Mothership already owns and maintains the invaluable Form Guide. To answer in two parts, first, this presents the same information, but without having to hover over the succession of green Ws, yellow Ds and red Ls; don’t know about you, but I forget the info from one square to the next; honestly, it’d take me days and special memory pills to retain that shit. As for the second answer, it’s more involved…

I value first-hand observation more than the most guy - honest - but watching every MLS game is like having a second job (theory: a full-time hobby is a job), and I’ve already got one full-time job. Now for the part where I stick my neck out a bit, I’m honestly not sure doing that is any more elucidating, ultimately, than just clocking a string of each team's final scores. Most fans know the experience of looking at, say, how close the midfield came to “something special,” or wrapping themselves in tea leaves and seeing signs of potential in a new forward, even as those signs recede into an eternal future. The temptation to keep running ahead of the curve creates false positives and true positives (wait.), because what’s more natural to the analysis game/human nature than wanting to be the first person to say something? It’s easy to get wrapped up in your own bullshit, basically, but that’s the upside of just looking at the final score: history and playoff rankings don’t care how close your team got. And when they keep falling short…

To cut the melon from another angle, I watch two teams - the Portland Timbers and FC Cincinnati (aka, My Hometowns) - one of them for years (it’s harder to do with the other one), and I just posted a review on that team that doubled as a cry for help with understanding what the Hell the Timbers’ head coach is doing with the midfield (and the related question of whether there’s anything he can do given the personnel). Sometimes knowing more means just having more questions. God’s honest truth, I get a better sense of Portland’s chances every week by tracking results than I get from watching them - e.g., 15-game unbeaten streak (16?), four-game losing streak, nah, call it a tear, now they’ve got two wins, and one draw, and the draw came against fucking New England?
Most weeks, I do some analysis, both at the tip of the iceberg and in the meat of it down below, about the week’s results. Because “Week 28” featured all of four regular-season games, I decided to both stuff all the commentary into this narrative preamble (aka, the abstract before the cold, brutal weight of results), and to remove all the “Last game” data below. That’s something I might stick with, too, so long as it works.

So, Week 28: to wrap up Portland, this week featured one of their recent wins - a 2-0 win at home over the Colorado Rapids - but everything pointed to that result, even the relative comfort of it. The week’s biggest news, without question, was New York City FC picking up one slim fucking point from two home games - and both against teams listed as “marginal” down below, both of them reluctantly, and it was New England that I wanted to cast OUT. Keeping New England in the marginal group followed immediately from considering, 1) how close they are to the playoff line (one slip, L’Impact Montreal, une slippe); 2) a road win is huge for the Revs, points they had no business counting on getting. That’s big, even with the work still ahead.

Uh, what else? Not much, really. Sporting Kansas City beat Orlando City SC in KC, and you'd expect more than 1-0, but....well, why? They're not out there playing for us or anything. (wait.) Won’t lie, didn’t even watch highlights this week (wait…is that true, or…), nothing about that changes the broad arcs for both teams - e.g., Orlando remains deeply and uncomfortably screwed, while SKC…I don’t know, maybe they took a breather, did a little recharging.

Now, to check in on every other team in MLS. They’re ranked below from IN, through Marginal, and to OUT. They’re not in order, and never will be. Power rankings are stupid, an absurd measure of precision, sort of like the 10-yard chains in the NFL. Your 3rd and Inches is a fantasy, dog sport. Sorry. Side-tracked. I added top-line stats for all the teams this week - the data felt topless without them - and the “Last 10/Status” section will look forward as much as back all ‘round. All right, shutting up. Here are a bunch of notes and boxes, organized by someone with god knows what.

IN
ATLANTA, 16-5-6, 54 points, 56 gf, 43 ga, (8-2-4 home, 8-3-2 away)
6-2-2; 23 gf, 13 ga, 3-0-2 at home; 3-2-0 away
Record v. IN: LWW
Record v. OUT: WDWDWL
Record v. Marginal: W
LAST 10/STATUS: They’d probably want better than 3-1-2 through that recent soft-patch (road win over Montreal was probably the high point), but Atlanta has as easy a landing as any team in the league. San Jose might get ornery, and both RSL and RBNY won’t help, but I see plenty of padding around that.
Games left: @ COL, @ SJ, v RSL, @ RBNY, v NE, v CHI, @ TFC
W
L
W
D
W
W
D
W
W
L
v ORL
@ FCD
@ PHI
v SEA
v DC
@ MTL
v TFC
v CLB
@ ORL
@ DC
4-0
2-3
2-0
1-1
3-1
2-1
2-2
3-1
2-1
1-3
O
I
I
O
O
M
O
I
O
O

COLUMBUS, 12-8-7, 43 points, 35 gf, 34 ga (9-2-3 home, 3-6-4 away)
5-4-1, 13 gf, 18 ga, 4-0-0 at home, 1-4-1 away
Record v. IN: LLLWLW
Record v. OUT: WWD
Record v. Marginal: W
LAST 10/STATUS: A lot of where they are depends on what results you believe - e.g., knowing what you know of NYCFC, what does that win say after the road loss to Atlanta and the road draw at piss-ant (which auto-corrects to “puissant,” btw); add the three wins before and you’re really twisted up. How does one project something that messy onto their final games? Personally, I count 3 1/2 to 4 tough games out of seven, and they should survive just fine.
Games left: @ FCD, @ PTD, v COL, v PHI, @ MTL, @ ORL, v MIN
L
W
L
L
W
W
W
L
D
W
@ LAF
v RSL
@ LAG
@ NYC
v ORL
@ RB
v HOU
@ ATL
@ CHI
v NYC
0-2
2-1
0-4
0-2
3-2
3-2
1-0
1-3
1-1
2-1
I
M
I
I
O
I
O
I
O
I

DALLAS, 14-6-7, 49 points, 47 gf, 37 ga (9-1-4 home, 5-5-3 away)
4-4-2, 19 gf, 18 ga, 3-1-0 at home, 1-3-2 away
Record v. IN: LW
Record v. OUT: WDLLWDLW
LAST 10/STATUS: Those results make a case that this team is fragile as china - not the good stuff either. Between their form and the opposition ahead, I wouldn’t bet on them keeping up with even that 4-4-2 run. What they do in the playoffs will likely correlate with how well they do with the road games they’ve below.
Games left: v CLB, @VAN, @ POR, v ORL, @ DC, v SKC, @ COL
L
W
D
W
L
L
W
D
L
W
@ RSL
v CHI
@ HOU
@SKC
v SJ
@ SEA
v MIN
@ HOU
@ SJ
v HOU
0-2
3-1
1-1
3-2
1-3
1-2
2-0
1-1
3-4
4-2
I
O
O
I
O
O
O
O
O
O

LAFC, 13-7-7, 46 points, 54 gf, 42 ga (7-1-5 home, 6-6-2 away)
4-3-3, 17 gf, 15 ga, 3-1-2 at home, 1-2-1 away
Record v. IN: WDLLWD
Record v. OUT: WLLW
LAST 10/STATUS: Had they played the Galaxy this past weekend, that draw would have looked worse. All the same, LAFC has revived their reputation over the past four weeks - and all three of those wins hold up as what a good team does. Better still (for them), they’ve got a soft patch ahead. Honestly, away to Colorado looks like their biggest hill between now and the final game of the season.
Games left: v NE, v SJ, @ CHI, @ COL, v HOU, v VAN, @ SKC
W
D
L
D
L
L
W
W
D
W
v ORL
v POR
@ MIN
v LA
@ RB
v SKC
v RSL
v COL
@ LA
@ TFC
4-1
0-0
1-5
2-2
1-2
0-2
2-0
2-0
1-1
4-2
O
I
O
I
I
I
I
O
I
O

NYCFC, 14-8-7, 49 points, 51 gf, 38 ga (10-1-3 home; 4-7-3 away)
4-4-2, 11 gf, 13 ga, 2-1-2 at home, 2-3-0 away
Record v. IN: WWDL
Record v. OUT: WLWL
Record v. Marginal: WD (added DC this week)
LAST 10/STATUS: Has Patrick Vieira’s departure hurt this team? Couldn’t tell you, because I’ve seen, like, NO commentary on it. That’s weird because this team hasn’t had a good result since July 14 (the Columbus win). They’ll reach the playoffs (Montreal won’t gain 14 points on them), but in god knows what state. Anything less than…oh, 8 points, I’d write ‘em off.
Games left: @ MTL, v CHI, @ MIN, @ DC, v PHI
W
W
W
W
L
D
W
L
L
D
v RB
v MTL
v CLB
@ ORL
@ SEA
v VAN
@ TFC
@ PHI
v NE
v DC
1-0
3-0
2-0
2-0
1-3
2-2
3-2
0-2
0-1
1-1
I
M
I
O
O
I
O
I
O
M

PHILADELPHIA, 12-11-4, 40 points, 39 gf, 41 ga (7-4-2 home, 5-7-2 away)
6-3-1, 20 gf, 16 ga, 2-2-0 at home, 4-1-1 away
Record v. IN: LLLW
Record v. OUT: WWWWD
Record v. Marginal: W
LAST 10/STATUS: Screw the doubters, the Union are on a very solid run, coping with conference rivals regardless of place, etc. They’ve got some tough sledding ahead, but they’ve got the season-long home/away numbers of a competitor, and they’ve built that lately. Still wondering if this team wasn’t always a Corey Burke away from MLS nobility.
Games left: v MTL, @ SEA, v SKC, @ CLB, v MIN, v NY, @ NYC
L
W
L
W
L
W
W
W
W
D
v ATL
@ CHI
v LA
@ HOU
@ POR
@ NE
v NYC
v NE
@ DC
@ ORL
0-2
4-3
1-3
3-1
0-3
3-2
2-0
1-0
2-0
2-2
I
O
I
O
I
M
I
O
O
O

PORTLAND, 12-7-8, 44 points, 40 gf, 36 ga (9-2-3 home, 3-5-5 away)
4-4-2, 14 gf, 14 ga, 4-2-1 at home, 0-2-1 away
Record v. IN: WLLL
Record v. OUT: WLWDW
Record v. Marginal: D (Montreal)
LAST 10/STATUS: Pulled out of a nose dive by getting the safety gear back in place and, as discussed at length, that comes at a cost (attack?). To give the most pessimistic take possible, I can see this team throw away points in every remaining game. And the margin isn’t big. On the one hand, YES, I am invested, like I just dropped the title to my car on the roulette table and I’m about to spin the wheel. On the plus side, I know the Timbers can stymie every one of these motherfuckers, and that means it’s all about getting some goals. I count at least five opportunities.
Games left: @ HOU, v CLB, @ MIN, v FCD, @ RSL, v RSL, @ VAN
D
W
W
L
L
L
L
W
D
W
v MTL
v HOU
v PHI
v VAN
@ DC
@SKC
v SEA
v TFC
@ NE
v COL
2-2
2-1
3-0
1-2
1-4
0-3
0-1
2-0
1-1
2-0
M
O
I
I
O
I
I
O
O
O

RBNY, 17-7-4, 55 points, 50 gf, 29 ga (11-2-1 home, 6-5-3 away)
6-2-2, 13 gf, 10 ga, 4-1-0 at home, 2-1-2 away
Record v. IN: WLWDD
Record v. OUT: WWW
Record v. Marginal: WW
LAST 10/STATUS: They took one step off the pace in their last game, but this team has been crazy reliable all year long. Like any consumer of soccer media, I’ve heard whispers of doubt about this team. The pisser is, that relatively soft landing could paper over some real issues. They could also stumble through all that (well, maybe not n Toronto), and that’d be a large red flag.
Games left: @ DC, v TFC, v ATL, @ SJ, @ PHI, v ORL
W
W
W
L
W
W
D
W
W
L
v SKC
v NE
@ DC
v CLB
v LAF
@ CHI
@ VAN
v DC
v HOU
@ MTL
3-2
2-0
1-0
2-3
2-1
1-0
2-2
1-0
1-0
0-3
I
M
O
I
I
O
I
O
O
M

RSL, 13-10-5, 44 points, 48 gf, 46 fa (10-1-3 home, 3-9-2 away)
5-2-3, 23 gf, 12 ga, 3-0-2 at home, 2-2-1 away
Record v. IN: WLW
Record v. OUT: LDDWWW
Record v. Marginal: D
LAST 10/STATUS: Absolutely murdering “it” over the last three, more than anything else. And they’ve got one more solid chance to build the confidence/grow the legend in their next game. Things get rough there (if with the oasis of hosting the Revs) and, in a tidy cosmic joke, I used to say that Portland’s fate turned on where RSL is at the end of the season. I’d call the shoe on the other foot just now: RSL is on the stronger run.
Games left: v MIN, @ ATL, @ SKC, v POR, v NE, @ POR
W
L
D
D
W
D
L
W
W
W
v FCD
@ MIN
v COL
@ SJ
v CHI
v MTL
@ LAF
@ HOU
@ COL
v LA
2-0
2-3
2-2
0-0
2-1
1-1
0-2
2-1
6-0
6-2
I
O
O
O
O
M
I
O
O
I

SEATTLE, 12-9-5, 41 points, 35 gf, 27 ga (7-4-2 home; 5-5-3 away)
8-0-2, 19 gf, 5 ga, 5-0-0 at home, 3-0-2 away
Record v. IN: DWWWWWW
Record v. OUT: WW
Record v. Marginal: D
LAST 10/STATUS: [Ed. - This is so damn correct, that I couldn’t delete it; GUYS, Seattle is a very real threat to make/ruin MLS Cup 2018. Hate them.] That long line of Ws against IN teams should terrify the rest of the league. Bigger than that and, again, I draw everyone’s attention to their goals against in their last 10 games - 5 fucking goals, a 0.50 goals against - and that really goes back 11 games. Again, all this is coming against good teams.
Games left: @ POR, v SKC, @ VAN, v PHI, @ LAG, v COL, v HOU, @ ORL, @ HOU, v SJ
D
D
W
W
W
W
W
W
W
W
@ NE
@ ATL
v VAN
@ SJ
v NYC
@ MIN
v FCD
v LA
@ POR
v SKC
0-0
1-1
2-0
1-0
3-1
2-1
2-1
5-0
1-0
3-1
M
I
I
O
I
O
I
I
I
i

SKC, 14-7-6, 48 points, 49 gf, 33 ga (9-2-3 home, 5-5-3 away)
5-4-1, 18 gf, 15, 3-1-1 at home, 2-3-0 away
Record v. IN: LLLWWL
Record v. OUT: DWWW
Record v. Marginal:
LAST 10/STATUS: Things looked better a couple weeks ago, but there was no shame in that loss to Seattle (see above), and, sure, they wanted a bigger win at home against Orlando, but they still got all three points. Their end-run is almost perfectly tailored to define their level going into the playoffs: if SKC gets more than 12 points out of it, they’re a team to watch.
Games left: @ SJ, @ PHI, v RSL, v LAG, @ VAN, @ FCD, v LAF
L
D
L
L
W
W
W
W
L
W
@ RSL
v TFC
@ RB
v FCD
@ HOU
@ LAF
v POR
v MIN
@ SEA
v ORL
2-4
2-2
2-3
2-3
1-0
2-0
3-0
2-0
1-3
1-0
I
O
I
I
O
I
I
O
I
O

VANCOUVER, 11-9-7, 40 points, 45 gf, 52 ga (just like TFC) (6-2-5 home, 5-7-2 away)
5-3-2, 19 gf, 16 ga, 3-1-1 at home, 2-2-1 away
Record v. IN: DWD
Record v. OUT: LWLLWWW
NOTES: To start with the biggest story, Vancouver has one of your rougher landings in all of MLS. It’s very death or glory - e.g., complete collapse and devastation, or rolling into the playoffs with flaming wheels. They’re outside the playoffs, I know, and that begs the question of whether they belong above “Marginal.” Their recent run says they do (but do note the padding at the end - e.g., Sam Jose).
Games left: v SEA, v FCD, @ LAG, @ TFC, v SKC, @ LAF, v POR
L
W
L
L
W
D
W
D
W
W
v COL
v CHI
@ DC
@ SEA
v MIN
@ NYC
@ POR
v RB
@ SJ
v SJ
0-1
3-2
1-3
0-2
4-2
2-2
2-1
2-2
3-2
2-1
O
O
O
O
O
I
I
I
O
O

MARGINAL
DC UNITED, 8-11-7, 31 points, 43 gf , 44 ga (7-2-1 home, 1-9-6 away)
5-3-2, 17 gf, 12 ga; 5-2-0 at home, 0-1-2 away
Record v. IN: LWLLWD
Record v. OUT: WWW
Record v. Marginal: D
LAST 10/STATUS: Won’t lie, the home loss to Philly knocked me off the bandwagon - and now I’ve got the draw away to NYC as another question mark. My guess, though, is that they’ll get nine points out of their next four - and adjust expectations if they don’t. Their seasons goes where it goes from there.
Games left: v MIN, v NY, v MTL, v CHI, v FCD, v TFC, v NYC, @ CHI
L
L
W
D
W
W
L
L
W
D
@ ATL
v RB
v COL
@ MTL
v ORL
v POR
@ RB
v PHI
v ATL
@ NYC
1-3
0-1
2-1
1-1
3-2
4-1
0-1
0-2
3-1
1-1
I
I
O
M
O
I
I
I
I
I

LA GALAXY, 10-10-8, 38 points, 51 gf, 54 ga (6-6-4 home, 4-6-4 away)
3-3-4, 20 gf, 26 ga, 1-0-3 at home, 2-3-1 away
Record v. IN: WDLDL (adjusted Seattle to IN; that’s deep enough into the winning streak)
Record v. OUT: WWLDD
LAST 10/STATUS: Ah, the symbolic sacking/resignation of a coach when a shameful loss follows a bad run. (If I had to guess, Sigi Schmid’s exit interview had more than its share of, “I’m getting too old for this shit.”) Questions have hovered over this team all season, and I’m pretty sure Zlatan has more to say about that than I do. They have the resources, but, from what I read, they need a stronger hand somewhere in the organization.
Games left: @ TFC, v SEA, v VAN, @SKC, @ MIN, v HOU
W
W
D
W
L
D
D
L
D
L
@ NE
@ PHI
@ LAF
v ORL
@ COL
v MIN
v COL
@ SEA
v LAF
@ RSL
3-2
3-1
2-2
4-3
1-2
2-2
2-2
0-5
1-1
2-6
O
I
I
O
O
O
O
I
I
I

MONTREAL, 11-14-3, 37 gf, 45 ga (9-4-1 home, 2-10-2 away)
4-3-3, 15 gf, 14 ga, 4-1-1 at home, 0-2-2 away
Record v. IN: LDLDW
Record v. OUT: WWDWL
LAST 10/STATUS: A team that floats, and without working to tread water. From what I’ve read, they’ve tightened their lines and that’s all they need. From there, it’s “hey, Ignacio, we screwed up. Can you fix it?” What they have ahead is doable to the extent that’s true.
Games left: @ PHI, v NYC, @ DC, v CLB, v TFC, @ NE
W
L
W
D
L
D
D
W
L
W
v COL
@NYC
v SJ
@ POR
v ATL
v DC
@ RSL
v CHI
@ TFC
v RB
2-1
0-3
2-0
2-2
1-2
1-1
1-1
2-1
1-3
3-0
O
I
O
I
I
O
I
O
O
I

NEW ENGLAND, 8-10-9, 33 points, 40 gf, 42 ga (6-4-4 home, 2-6-5 away)
1-6-3, 10 gf, 17 ga, 0-2-2 at home, 1-4-1 away
Record v. IN: LLLLDW
Record v. OUT: DLDL
LAST 10/STATUS: When your “best week ever” means getting your first win in 10 games, things are looking somewhere other than up (and I’d also like to applaud the Timbers’ role in making this the brightest week Revs fans have seen in a while). They have been awful, certainly, but a -7 goal differential for a team with six losses in its last 10 isn’t bad. All the same, at least four of their remaining games look like losses, and that won’t get them back to the playoffs.
Games left: @ LAF, v CHI, @ TFC, @ ATL, v ORL, @ RSL, v MTL
D
L
L
L
D
L
L
L
D
W
v SEA
v LA
@ MIN
@ RB
@ ORL
v PHI
@ DC
@ PHI
v POR
@ NYC
0-0
2-3
1-2
0-2
3-3
2-3
0-2
0-1
1-1
0-1
O
I
O
I
O
I
O
I
I
I

OUT
CHICAGO, 6-15-6, 24 points, 37 gf, 52 ga (4-7-3 home, 2-8-3 away)
1-8-1, 12 gf, 23 ga, 1-3-1 at home, 0-5-0 away
Record v. IN: WLLLLD
Record v. OUT: LL
Record v. Marginal: LL
LAST 10/STATUS: Happily, Columbus had the kindness to beat Chicago’s streak as the team that keeps on giving. No need to wait on that “e”: their season died at least a month ago. I can totally see them stalling at 30 points.
Games left: v ORL, @ NE, @ NYC, v LAF, @ DC, @ ATL, v DC
W
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
D
v NYC
@ VAN
v PHI
@ FCD
v TFC
@ TFC
@ RSL
v RB
@ MTL
v CLB
3-2
2-3
3-4
1-3
1-2
0-3
1-2
0-1
1-2
1-1
I
I
I
I
O
O
M
I
M
I

COLORADO, 6-15-6, 24 points, 31 gf, 50 ga (5-6-3 home, 1-9-3 away)
2-5-3, 10 gf, 20 ga, 2-1-1 at home, 0-4-2 away
Record v. IN: DWDLLL
Record v. OUT: DLW
Record v. Marginal: L
LAST 10/STATUS: Their redemption narrative stumbled into the Slough a few steps short of salvation. Wait, they’re tied with Chicago, so make that a mile short. No, they haven’t lost to many teams like they lost to RSL in their second-to-last game, but they have lost more than they’ve won. And they’ve got four likely losses ahead. Damn. Just, damn.
Games left: v ATL, @ CLB, @ SEA, v LAF, @ MIN, @ SJ, v FCD
L
D
D
L
W
W
D
L
L
L
@ MTL
v HOU
@ RSL
@ DC
v LAG
v SJ
@ LAG
@ LAF
v RSL
@ POR
1-2
0-0
2-2
1-2
2-1
2-1
2-2
0-2
0-6
0-2
M
O
I
O
I
O
I
I
I
I

HOUSTON, 7-13-7, 28 points, 43 gf, 42 ga (6-5-3 home, 1-8-4 away)
0-7-3, 9 gf, 16 ga, 0-3-2 at home, 0-4-1 away
Record v. IN: DLLLLLDLL
Record v. OUT: D
LAST 10/STATUS: Playing good teams, getting slaughtered. Moreover, they are the worst team on points over the last 10 games in MLS. With the talent they have on this team, they need a re-write.
Games left: v PTD, @ COL, v SJ, @ SEA, @ LAF, v SEA, @ LAG
D
D
L
L
L
L
L
D
L
L
@ COL
v FCD
v PHI
@ POR
v SKC
@ CLB
v RSL
v FCD
@ RB
@ FCD
0-0
1-1
1-3
1-2
0-1
0-1
1-2
1-1
0-1
2-4
O
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I

MINNESOTA, 9-15-2, 29 points, 38 gf, 52 ga (8-4-1 home, 1-11-1 away)
4-5-1, 19 gf, 22 ga, 4-1-0 at home, 0-4-1 away
Record v. IN: WWLDLL
Record v. OUT: WL
Record v. Marginal: WL
LAST 10/STATUS: I mean…they’re fucked. They had a dream as many as five games ago, only it died and it’s not coming back. Seriously, look at the games ahead, and you tell me how this team gains 13 points on Seattle, Portland and RSL.
Games left: @ DC, @ RSL, v POR, v NYC, @ PHI, v COL, v LA, @ COL
W
L
W
W
W
L
L
D
L
L
v TFC
@ HOU
v RSL
v NE
v LAF
@ VAN
v SEA
@ LA
@ FCD
@ SKC
4-3
0-3
3-2
2-1
5-1
2-4
1-2
2-2
0-2
0-2
O
O
I
M
I
I
M
I
I
I

ORLANDO, 7-17-3, 24 points, 40 gf, 62 ga (5-6-3 home, 2-11-0 away)
1-7-2, 16 gf, 25 ga(!), 1-2-2 at home, 0-5-0 away
Record v. IN: LLLLLDL
Record v. OUT: WL
Record v. Marginal: D
LAST 10/STATUS: The Charge of the Light Brigade, once a week, for your entertainment. Game and battling as they are, with nothing but a string of falling short to show for it.
Games left: @ CHI, v HOU, @ FCD, @ NE, v SEA, v CLB, @ NY
L
W
L
L
L
D
L
L
D
L
@ LAF
v TFC
@ CLB
v NYC
@ LAG
v NE
@ DC
v ORL
v PHI
@ SKC
1-4
2-1
2-3
0-2
3-4
3-3
2-3
1-2
2-2
0-1
I
O
I
I
I
M
O
I
I
I

SAN JOSE, 4-15-8, 20 points, eliminated, etc., 41 gf, 52 ga (2-6-5 home, 2-9-3 away)
2-6-2, 13 gf, 17 ga, 2-2-2 at home, 0-4-0 away
Record v. IN: LDWLWL
Record v. OUT: LLD
Record v. Marginal: L
LAST 10/STATUS: For what it’s worth, I rate the ‘Quakes as the last shitty team that any team in MLS wants to face. They’ve lost a lot in their last 10 games, but the losses have also dried up. The Goonies spirit isn’t dead. It’s just a little older and less talented.
Games left: v SKC, v ATL, @ LAF, @ HOU, v NY, v COL, @ SEA
L
L
L
D
W
L
D
L
W
L
@ POR
@ MTL
v SEA
v RSL
v FCD
@ COL
v TFC
v VAN
v FCD
@ VAN
1-2
0-2
0-1
0-0
3-1
1-2
1-1
2-3
4-3
1-2
I
M
O
I
I
O
O
I
I
I

TORONTO, 7-14-6, 27 points, and, yes, you should stop caring; 45 gf, 52 ga (5-6-2 home, 2-8-4 away)
3-4-3, 16 gf, 18 ga, 2-2-0 at home, 1-2-3 away
Record v. IN: DDLLL
Record v. OUT: LWWD
Record v. Marginal: W
LAST 10/STATUS: I know why people held on: they have a pretty favorable end-run. But that’s for a contender, and TFC have shown they’ll drop points in a lot of places.
Games left: v LAG, @ NY, v NE, v VAN, @ DC, @ MTL, v ATL
D
L
W
W
D
L
D
W
L
L
@ SKC
@ORL
@ CHI
v CHI
@ ATL
v NYC
@ SJ
v MTL
@ POR
v LAF
2-2
1-2
2-1
3-0
2-2
2-3
1-1
3-1
0-2
2-4
I
O
O
O
I
I
O
M
I
I

That’s it. And, golly, I think this is the future for the hidden portions of the iceberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment