Sunday, September 23, 2018

Penn FC 1-2 FC Cincinnati: Consider Yourself...Boned!

My feelings are complex...
When you’ve watched soccer a damned long time, it’s nice to see something you haven’t before. It’s even better when that something plays footsie with absurdity, a la Tiago Calvano’s attempt to get into Danni Konig’s head and/or fuck with the ref’s request that the two players “kiss-and-make-up” early in the game. They need a different color card for this one…when Calvano actually went for Konig’s lips…in another setting, mandatory training would have followed therefrom. Damn.

It’s nice, in a sense, that Penn FC got at least a little of theirs back in this game, because they got…boned in this game. Not to get hung up on sexualized metaphors, but I didn’t come up with Corben Bone’s surname, and there aren’t a lot of verbs that better capture a player who had been theretofore invisible (Bone) stealing the ball from a dallying Aaron Dennis and curling in the game winner. That goal, when added to Emanuel Ledesma’s equalizer, lifted FC Cincinnati to a 2-1 road win over Penn FC, a result I’d call more unfortunate than unfair for Penn; or, FC Cincy’s side, fortunate…and still a little unfair. Not undeserved, mind, just unfair to Penn FC.

On the other hand, screw Penn FC because I wasn’t pulling for them. Still, my condolences. Man, it’s like there’s a devil in one ear and an angel in the other…moving on…

My notes from last night (at least the ones I can read; this was a late, second feature for me yesterday), the teams played fairly even game - and the numbers, read in the clearer light of morning, back up the impression (the link above takes you to The Match Center, aka, The World of Your Imagination). If they decided games by decision like they do in boxing, I could even be persuaded to call the game for Penn. (As my notes in the first half have it, and this is verbatim, “PEN has been better, but not much…meh; good on crosses, not great.”) That doesn’t matter, of course, as demonstrated/symbolized by the way (I think) Richard Menjivar had Cincy ‘keeper Spencer beat for a late Penn FC equalizer, only to have Forrest Lasso perfectly position to head away the shot.

If the game turned on anything in particular, I offer the old cliché, “that little bit of quality.” Cincy’s attackers fired more accurately at Penn’s Sean Lewis, and they forced great saves out of him - with Ledesman leading the list. There are also the kinds of players Cincinnati can call from its bench: it was Emery Welshman’s shot, after all, that Lewis spilled to Ledesma for the Orange and Blue’s first goal. If either Nazmi Albadawi or Kenney Walker changed the game, I missed it, but I do think that Welshman’s running, in terms of both speed and distance, might have given Penn the new look they finally couldn’t handle. And, again, Cincinnati has held that advantage all season - i.e., having real quality on the bench, as well as different varieties of it. Moreover, even if Albabawi and Walker don’t come on and change the game (for the record, still shrugging at that one), Cincinnati can rest almost all of their players without giving up much in quality - at least at the USL level. And that is a luxury…trust me on that one.

Anyway, these are the kinds of wins that having better than average personnel makes possible, and good for FC Cincy for building this team. It’s a hell of a blow to Penn’s season, and I can only imagine how gently Dennis’ teammates approached him in the locker room after the game. Then again, maybe they didn’t. Maybe they rounded out the poor bastard’s night with a chocolate swirly. Sometimes a team makes a cameo as a victim in the history books.

I’m going to stray into the weeds a little for the rest of this post, with the focus going to the midfield. As much as I’ve watched FC Cincinnati (more than some, less than many), I’m not sure I could name what they’d call their first-choice pairing in defensive midfield; I only know that they almost always go with a pairing. The team might not even have a first-choice pairing, and that’s both a luxury and a little wild. That said, I’ve developed a preference for Michael Lahoud and his approach to the role. He’s a man with a mission, and that mission is spraying the ball around and keeping it moving, a more or less constant search to find a player with a cleaner passing option than his own. On that, I continue to be impressed - blown away, even - by how quickly Lahoud sees his options. Lahoud’s never perfect, but he nearly always finds his pass, and it’s usually a good one. Having a player who can play a pivot/facilitator role does wonders for playing out of trouble and just getting the ball to people who can do the next good thing with it.

I don’t have much of a hierarchy after that, honestly, and not least because there are no bad options. I’m partial to Walker, for reasons I probably can’t back up too (but some of them go back to him doing for Cincinnati what David Guzman doesn’t quite look up for doing for the Portland Timbers), and that’s a little unfair to Tyler Gibson, who I simply haven’t seen enough this season. Fatai Alashe will give you presence in that position that no other FC Cincy player can give you, but I’m not sure that makes him the answer to any particular question.

When I looked at the USL standings before typing this up, a couple things jumped out - those “(e)s” chewing up the bottom of the standings, for starters, especially in the Western Conference. Something else I noticed in the Western Conference standings: Portland Timbers 2 has already made the cut for the USL post-season. Now, theoretically, that means that Timbers 2 could face FC Cincinnati in the USL final. While that isn’t a conflict I would cherish (and I’m not about to confess where my rooting interests would lie until I have to), almost nothing could satisfy the burning itch of curiosity I have quite like seeing MLS’s Portland Timbers play this FC Cincinnati team. Because these are the teams I know best, that would give the clearest possible answer to the questions I’ve got about how this Cincinnati team would stack up in MLS next season…

…then they’d have to play the game a second time using other FC Cincinnati players and that’s sort of a pain in the ass.

Well, all done. With my apologies to the dignity of the Richmond Kickers, I see FC Cincinnati has one more semi-soft game before the real challenges start to pile up (then again, don’t suck, Richmond). Ideally, they’ll roll into the playoffs and then into MLS wearing the USL crown. Till next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment